NEWBERRY, S.C. – The Carson-Newman Eagles rallied from behind at No. 4 and No. 6 singles to capture a 5-4 win at Newberry College on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, the Eagles improve to 2-0 in South Atlantic Conference play. C-N's second SAC win doubles their win total from a season ago and has them atop the SAC standings early in the season.
Junior Paul Birdsong (Woodstock, Ga.) and freshman Garret Duron (Woodstock, Ga,) both rallied from a set down to help lift the Eagles to the come-from-behind win.
Birdsong won a tiebreaker in the second set to even his match at No. 4 singles. He won the third set 6-3 to knot the match at 4-4.
Duron rallied at No. 6 singles to win 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 and capture the match for the Eagles. Duron went 3-0 in singles matches this week for C-N.
Newberry (10-7, 1-1 SAC) fell behind Carson-Newman (6-2, 2-0) early when the Eagles took two doubles points from the Wolves. Birdsong and Warren McClure (Woodstock, Ga.) won 8-6 at No. 2 doubles and freshman Austin Mackay (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) and Derek Holdway (Woodstock, Ga.)
Holdway had two points for the Eagles on the afternoon. He won at No. 3 singles 6-4, 6-4 to give C-N a big point after a slow start in singles.
C-N returns to action on Wednesday against rival Tusculum in Jefferson City. The match begins at 2 p.m.
Carson-Newman 5, Newberry 4
Mar 17, 2012
Cannon Tennis Courts
1. Michael Saunders (NEWM) def. Dusty Davis (CN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Warren McClure (CN) 6-3, 6-2
3. Derek Holdway (CN) def. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Paul Birdsong (CN) def. Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
5. Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) def. Eric Mueller (CN) 6-4, 6-0
6. Garret Duron (CN) def. Jeffery Kiser (NEWM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Michael Saunders/Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Dusty Davis/Eric Mueller (CN) 8-4
2. Paul Birdsong/Warren McClure (CN) def. Mohammed Chakir/Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 8-6
3. Austin Mackay/Derek Holdway (CN) def. Carlos Nicolopulos/David Sons (NEWM) 8-2
Carson-Newman 6-2, 2-0 SAC
Newberry 10-7, 1-1 SAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)