Eagles Drop University of the Cumberlands, 7-2
The Carson-Newman Eagles won their fourth match of the season
with a convincing 7-2 defeat of the University of the Cumberlands
on Wednesday afternoon in Jefferson City.
The Eagles started quickly with wins at #2 and #3 doubles, and then took five of the six singles matches.
Rodolfo Schwarz (sophomore, Brazil) won a hard fought singles match by the score of 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 at the #1 position. Adriano Kira (junior, Brazil), Jack Harvie (senior, Snellville, GA), and Paul Birdsong (freshman, Woodstock, GA) were winners in both their singles and doubles.
Chris Acker (junior, Knoxville, TN) teamed with Kira to win a doubles point for the Eagles, while Freshman Derek Holdway (Woodstock, GA) won the #6 singles match.
The Eagles are now 4-1 overall and begin South Atlantic Conference play on Saturday when they travel to Harrogate, Tennessee to take on Lincoln Memorial University. Match time is 1 p.m.
1. Pantoja/Silva (UC) d. Schwarz/Slagle 8-5
2. Harvie/Birdsong (CN) d. Hill/Hill 8-2
3. Kira/Acker (CN) d. Carmeck/Neeley 8-4
1. Rodolfo Schwarz (CN) d. Silva 6-3,3-6,7-5
2. Pantoja (UC) d. Trent Slagle 7-6(7),6-3
3. Adriano Kira (CN) d. Neeley 6-4,6-0
4. Jack Harvie (CN) d. A. Hill 6-3,6-0
5. Paul Birdsong (CN) d. J. Hill 6-2,6-0
6. Derek Holdway (CN d. Crowe 6-0,5-0 (ret.)